About The Film

Dead Weight is an independent film produced in central Wisconsin throughout the course of 2011, and released in March 2012. It tells the story of Charlie Russell, traveling the wilderness in the wake of an apocalyptic viral outbreak, in search of his girlfriend, Samantha. As his journey brings him closer to his destination of Wausau, WI, he must face physical exhaustion, malicious survivors, and perhaps most menacing, his own emotional burdens. With his newfound traveling companions Charlie must attempt to find attempt to break his obsessions with the past. He must learn to let it go.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

THE TIME IS UPON US

We are now one week away from production. While there's no reason for me to go into the background of this project (as Adam did such a terrific job), I'd like to take this time to reflect on what this journey has been like for me.

Almost five years ago, my close friends and I spent a summer filming this little zombedy, which at the time, was titled Untitled Zombie Story Full of Stupid Dick Jokes. We had 700 bucks and just wanted to have fun, and at the same time, make something to be proud of. Skip forward to April 14, 2007, we premiered said film, now titled Better Off Undead, on the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh campus, where over 500 people came out for 2 free screenings. Over the next year or so (actually more like two years), we took Better Off Undead around to horror and comic book conventions, had screenings all throughout the Midwest and received positive reviews from around this world.

During the beginning of 2008 I began writing my first full length script, Among The Dead. This script was not a sequel to Better Off Undead, however, another story that took place during the same outbreak. I spent a solid six months planning, and putting everything together, and we were ready to start filming in September. On July 4, 2008, we had a open call for zombies to start filming some filler shots (zombies infesting the city). 100+ people showed up and we had one hell of a time taking over the streets of Oshkosh. The excitement from the turnout and response got my blood flowing, I could not wait to get this film rolling. As 90% of the script took place inside one house, it took 4 months to find a house to rent and use as the location, but we locked one in nonetheless. On the day we were to receive the house keys, one week before we were to start to film, I received a call from the rental agency. They were backing out. The house was no longer ours. I begged, I pleaded, I did everything I could. Nothing changed, the rug was pulled out from under our feet and we were left behind.

We were devastated. It was such a challenge to get to the point of filming, and it was gone like that. Needless to say, I entered a huge state of depression. Over the next few years, I had the want and desire to film, but multiple things stood in the way. Then Adam approached me with this idea, and after some serious brainstorming, I could tell this was the one. This was the one I wanted to pursue, and this was the one we were going to make happen. I learned a lot from Among The Dead, and believe that is a key thing in independent filmmaking: always learn from everything you do, positive or negative.

And here we are now. This whole experience with Dead Weight has been more than Adam and I could have asked for. We are lucky enough to have so many outstanding individuals get involved in this project, and we couldn't do it without them. Over the years, I have met so many great people because of Better Off Undead. I have gained some of my dearest friends because of that movie, friends of which are now involved in Dead Weight. I have spent so many nights talking and laughing with people at conventions, screenings and everywhere else in between. As awkward as this is to say, there are fans of Better Off Undead, and amazing people who have supported me with that film, the ill-fated Among The Dead and now Dead Weight. When you create independent film, everything is against you and it becomes difficult to push through it all. Having support from those who believe in you makes it all that much easier.

I will never be able express how much everyone's support means to me. Adam and I are incredibly proud of our script for Dead Weight, and know there are people that really want to see what we can create. Believe me when I say we cannot wait to show you all Dead Weight. This has been said time and time again, and is probably cliche as hell to say, but I don't even care because I mean it. This film is for all of you that have supported me in anyway possible. It means the world to me that anyone would care about what two kids from Oshkosh, WI are doing. From the bottom of my heart, this one is for everyone who has made an impression on me which their undying support.

Oh, and one more thing: This is NOT a zombie movie, so get that idea out of your head.

Let's do this.

1 comment: