About The Film

Dead Weight is an independent film produced in central Wisconsin throughout the course of 2011, and released in March 2012. It tells the story of Charlie Russell, traveling the wilderness in the wake of an apocalyptic viral outbreak, in search of his girlfriend, Samantha. As his journey brings him closer to his destination of Wausau, WI, he must face physical exhaustion, malicious survivors, and perhaps most menacing, his own emotional burdens. With his newfound traveling companions Charlie must attempt to find attempt to break his obsessions with the past. He must learn to let it go.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

SPOTLIGHT ON THE FAMILY: LORA BARTLETT

My mother emailed me asking if she could submit her own little story about how she was introduced to Dead Weight. She knew very little going into the script, as John and I generally had an agreement that we wouldn't be talking with anyone about the story. So here is my mother, Lora, and her own personal account of her first encounter with Dead Weight, formatted in her own little script style with very little editing on my behalf... and all extreme motherly biases untouched.

Lora may say she hates zombies, but she didn't have a problem dressing up for the Zombie Walk



My Dead Weight Beginnings


Setting: Early February 2011

              Lora's cell phone rings, she checks the ID, it's Adam,
she answers....... They exchange the usual greeting.
             Adam continues..... (continued after the break)


             Adam,  "So Mom, do you want to read the movie script
John and I wrote?"

             Lora, with an uncertain enthusiasm replies,  "Ah sure!
Drop it off when you get a chance."

             Other chit chat about it being a third draft, ignore the
typos and proof reading.  -Call ends-


Scene:   A week or so passes. Mid afternoon, Adam appears at Lora's
patio door, enters and DROPS 100+ pages on to Lora's GLASS coffee
table.
              Lora gasps under her breath but is instantly relieved
that the THUMP wasn't followed by a CRASH of shattering glass.

             Adam, "Here you go, let me know what you think."     -End Scene-

             This is where my Dead Weight experience began.
              Not being an avid reader, I expected, as I'm sure Adam
may have, not to finish for several days. I had very little idea of
what to expect but assumed it would be Zombie related, and anyone who
knows me Zombies scare the shit out of me.
             That evening I cozied in on my couch and began to read.
Less than 2 hours later I had finished. Seriously? I never got up to
have a smoke? I might have gotten up to pee once but can't remember
for sure. If I did it was fast cause I had to get back to the couch,
I had to know what happened next and I had to correct those typos!
The characters, locations, emotions, all came to life in my
imagination. I felt Charlie's anger, Meredith's strength and fear, and Samantha's
compassion. Giggles, gasps and a HOLY SHIT! For sure a lot of WOWS!

Setting: Lora calls Adam and reaches his voice mail. Waiting for the
"beep" she gathers her thoughts to leave a message.

            Lora, "WOW Adam, WOW! That's about all I can say right
now. When you become rich and famous,
                       you can buy your Mama a new car and house.
Otherwise a T-shirt and copy of the movie will suffice."

            Lora hangs up and stares out in to the cold February
evening air from her patio.
             She recalls memories of her hometown Wausau, the 3 RUSH
concerts she had the pleasure of seeing, and the cool new T-shirt she
will be getting.
             Her thoughts shift to contemplation.
            "Hmmmm....... What kind of Car do I want??"

1 comment:

  1. I have been anxiously awaiting the premiere of Dead Weight. After reading this review I am even more excited. Can't wait!!!!!

    ReplyDelete